Wednesday 22 September 2010

Kyra Gracie mini interview


Whilst I was at the Acao Social project last Tuesday, I managed to have a few words with Kyra in between classes; it's not a huge interview, just a few questions about the project, but I thought I'd share it on here with you, Constant Reader, because that's the kind of guy I am :)

Kyra Gracie chats with the Fighting Photographer

When did you start teaching here Kyra?

I have two places where I teach, one is also here in Vargem Grande and I started the first one about eighteen months ago and this one where we are now a year ago.

How did you get into this work Kyra?

I was always helping people at Christmas time, we have a children’s day here and on special days I’d help them out and I felt there wasn’t enough here for the children; I realized that jiu jitsu could help the children both on and off the mat and everything they learn here can help them with their lives, so that’s the main reason I started teaching here.

Have you seen a change in the children since you started?

Oh yes, a hell of a lot; when they first started they were very hyper (laughs) and didn’t have any respect, but after a short time they are more respectful and humble and we see an improvement at school, all the teachers have thanked us for the changes they have seen in the children, they couldn’t believe that they were doing their homework and doing well at home as well and doing everything right. They love to train and enjoy the training and we very serious about the teaching and want every child to do well here at the school.

How many classes do you teach?

We have six classes a day and six at the other school and I split my time between the two schools, I can alternate morning and afternoon classes and teach at both.

When you’ve finished for the day where do you train?

I train at Gordo’s

Have any of the children done any competitions?

Yes they have, we have competed in four tournaments and we have some medals and they have a lot of fun, it’s a big thing in their lives every month, something for them too look forward to, we spend the whole day there and have lunch and they always come back with a medal (laughs). Next month we have the State championships here in Rio and the kids will be competing and a competition in November as well, all the tournaments are with the gi.

How does it feel for you as their coach to see them do well at these tournaments?

It’s great to see them do well, to see the shy kids at the schools come out of their shells and do well in the tournaments; we have kids here that have a hard time getting the moves and then we see them improving and doing well and at the other schools we have a few yellow belts so I feel very happy to do this and some thing I want to give back what jiu jitsu gave to me, everything I am today is because of jiu jitsu.

Is there anyone else that help out with you?

I am the only one that takes care of the jiu jitsu part at the schools; I take care of the structure and I have a few people that help me out with the classes and we have Judo classes here as well.



Do you receive any financial help with the projects?

No, this is my project, I get money from my pocket and pay the salaries of the instructors.

What are your plans for the future?

I wanna have my own place and organization, so I can have everything in one place, the Judo, the Jiu Jitsu, classes, everything in one place all for the children.

How does this all fit in with your normal training and competition training?

I am always here every week, no matter what even when I am sick (laughs) during competitions if I don’t train on the Tuesdays I get extra training at the weekend to balance things out.

What is the maximum age for the children here?

Here it’s fourteen but at the other place some of them are nineteen and twenty, not children anymore (laughs)

Do any of the older children train at Gordo’s?

Some of them when they have free time go along to Gordo’s and do some extra training but most of the children are very busy with school work, so they don’t have much free time.

Do you get girls training here as well?

Yes we do, I wanna get more coming in to train and it’s my goal to make it more accessible for the girls and show them that it’s not only a sport for the boys (laughs)

http://www.asfreigaspar.org.br/
http://www.connectionrio.com/
http://thefightingphotographer.blogspot.com/

No comments: